COP23 JAPAN PAVILION REPORT
During the 23rd session of the Conference of the Parties (COP 23) to the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC), which took place from November 6-17, 2017 in Bonn, Germany, the Japan Pavilion hosted the event "Building up scientific knowledge to enhance the effectiveness and efficiency of adaptation planning and its action." Panelists assessed how to apply science-based climate risk information in adaptation planning and actions, both nationally and regionally. His Excellency Mr. Masaharu Nakagawa, Minister of the Environment for the Government, Japan (MOEJ), used his opening remarks to emphasize the imperative of achieving the global goals of reducing climate risks and fostering adaptive capacities.
The side event hosted worldwide experts, including Ms. Xianfu Lu, Senior Climate Change Adaptation Specialist at the Asian Development Bank (ADB), Dr. Barney Dickson, Head of Climate Change Unit at UNEP, and Dr. Yasuaki Hijioka, Head of the Center for Social and Environmental Systems Research at the National Institute for Environmental Studies, Japan (NIES). Dr. Hijioka announced the launch of the knowledge portal known as the Asia Pacific Climate Change Adaptation Platform (AP-PLAT), which aims to promote adaptation planning and implementation within the region.
List of Participants:
- < Opening Remarks >
- H.E. Mr. Masaharu Nakagawa(Minister of the Environment, Japan)
- < Keynote Speech >
- H.E. Mr. Bambang Brodjonegoro(Minister of BAPPENAS, Ministry of National Development Planning, Republic of Indonesia)
- Dr. Kollawat Sakhakara(Climate Change Management and Coordination Division, Office of Natural Resources and Environmental Policy and Planning (ONEP), Thailand)
- Ms. Xianfu Lu(Senior Climate Change Adaptation Specialist, ADB)
- Dr. Barney Dickson(Head, Climate Change Unit, UNEP)
- Dr. Yasuaki Hijioka(Head, Regional Environmental Impact Assessment Section, Center for Social and Environmental Systems Research, National Institute for Environmental Studies (NIES), Japan)
- Dr. Saleem Huq(Director, ICCCAD and Senior Fellow, IIED)
- Mr. Masanobu Kimura(Director of Climate Change Adaptation Office, MOEJ)
(Posted : 22/NOV/2017)